Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My dog hates her nails being clipped. Do you guys have any ideas?

My dog for some strange and slightly weird reason always has large nails. We trim them but they grow back like a week later. I try the best that i can to make it comfratable to her but she like will never stay still. I pretty much always have to wrap my legs around her stomach and then I have to cup her paw around in my hand. She hates the sound of the ';click'; and when she can hear it she swivles her head and pulls on her paw. I NEED HELP!My dog hates her nails being clipped. Do you guys have any ideas?
try to do it when she is tired ike after a walk give her tons of treats and keep talking to her so she dosen't her the sound tell her good dog a lot say i love you and stuff like that if that dosen't work try it when she is eating or sleepingMy dog hates her nails being clipped. Do you guys have any ideas?
I have a rottweiler and he used to be the same way about getting his nails clipped. He would actually knock all the stuff over in the groomers. If you are personally clipping her nails, you could be getting too close or maybe at one time got too close and are hurting her, causing her to remember that those clippers can hurt her? Maybe taking her to a professional a few times in a row might help. I actually take mine to my vet, and there is a vet tech there that he loves and she does it. You know there are other ways to keep the nails down and not having to consantly trim them. You can take her for a walk on black top/cement...that helps to file them down. They also have a dog nail file at Petsmart/Petco that you can purchase. You would have to sit down with her and get her used to those but it wouldn't be so bad. I don't think it is normal to cut a dogs nails every week. One of my dogs has longer nails then the others, but the red vein that runs through the nail is long as well..so we can only have it clipped to that point. I really think that you may have clipped a little to close to her nerve endings, especially clipping them every week. Best of luck to you!
Handle her feet every day. Give treats and praise.





In a week or so you can start. Get her when she's ready to nap, not when she's full of energy. Don't rush. Do one. Give a treat and praise. Do another one. Be careful not to ';quick'; the dog. Just remove the tips. Go slow. If it gets too stressful. Try again later that day or that week.
maybe take it to the groomer.. if she wiggles around you might accidently hurt her and clip it too close. Also, it sounds like she hates her paws being touched. a lot of dogs are like that but that can be easily fixed. Our groomer suggested we play with our puppy's paws on regular basis (gently rubbing them) so he feels comfortable getting his paws touched. so we do that every day. same thing with his ears. we rub his ears (not sticking our figers IN it, but rubbing the ear flaps and muscles around it) so he feels comfortable when it gets touched for grooming. Play with her paws and take her to the groomer.
The treat to distraction method works pretty well. But, I found that using a dremmel file instead of the nail clipper doesn't bother my Eskie as much. I discovered this when I took her to be groomed and they used one without muzzeling and pinning her down which is what you have to do to avoid being snapped at or having her slither away. I put it on low speed and literally file the excess nail away.
My staffie was like that. I will give her an extra special treat that she only gets when I'm done clipping her nails. It only took a few times until she would stand still knowing the reward at the end. Use really good nail clippers and clip alittle off every week. I love these nail clipper. All clip no nail squish.


http://www.canvasbackpets.com/ShopSite/p鈥?/a>
I have to do the same thing for my dog. I have my hubby give a good ole belly rubbin while I clip. Takes 3 mins max now that I've trained myself. Get GOOD clippers too, cheap ones take more time.
have someon give your dog a constant flow of treats while her nails are being clipped, but make her work to get them out of the person's fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment